For many centuries, opera was the artistic manifestation that defined the spirit of Europe, to the point that a story of the Old Continent could be told through its lyrical titles.
Music is an important pillar of European culture, and it is probably the cultural and creative sector with the broadest audience reach. It is an essential component of Europe’s cultural diversity and can bring positive changes in society.
The Sinfonia Foundation, since its creation in 1986, has made one of its main objectives the support of educational programs, especially among youth people, aimed at a greater appreciation of classical music.
- THE FESTIVAL
It is under this concept that the Delegation of the European Union and the Sinfonia Foundation, with the support of the Ministry of Culture of the Dominican Republic, present the Caribbean Lyric Festival 2021, an event to stimulate young singers from the Caribbean area with emerging lyrical careers and to promote cultural exchange in this region.
Singers interested in being part of the Festival must submit their musical proposals between January 29 and February 28, 2021. An international jury, made up of renowned experts in classical singing, will make a selection of six (6) participants, who will have the opportunity to showcase their talent and create important connections to further their artistic careers.
The Festival will take place on Sunday, May 9, 2021, coinciding with the celebration of Europe Day.
In view of the unprecedented health situation unleashed by the global pandemic of COVID-19, it would be considered to presenting the Festival in either on-site or virtual format.
If the evolution of the health situation is good and it is decided that the Festival would be held in person at the Eduardo Brito National Theatre in Santo Domingo. In this case, the transportation, accommodation, and travel expenses of the six participants will be paid. The musical program will consist of a varied selection of the lyrical repertoire and the event will be broadcast on various digital platforms, radio and television.
In the event that the Festival has to be held virtually, an endowment of $2,000 € will be made available to the six selected singers to prepare, produce and videotape a short recital, under the artistic supervision of the Sinfonia Foundation, which will be broadcast on various digital platforms, radio and television.
The call is open to:
- Classical singers born in the Caribbean islands, resident anywhere in the world.
- Foreign classical singers with legal residence in one of the Caribbean islands for more than five (5) years.
Classical singers of all voice types, born between 10 May 1981 and 9 May 2003, may participate.
The application will be free of charge and will be made in digital form. Those interested should submit the following materials:
- Duly completed registration form
- Artistic CV detailing professional and educational experience.
- 10-15 minutes video, including:
- 1 opera aria in Italian;
- 1 opera aria in Italian, French or German.
- 1 free selection of the classical repertory (optional)
Home videos and non-professional recordings will be allowed. The applicant’s face must be clearly visible throughout the recording.
- Digital photography (artistic headshot) with high resolution.
- Copy of passport, identity card or document. If the applicant is a foreigner, he or she must send proof of residence of more than 5 years in one of the Caribbean islands. The document provided must include the participant’s full name, nationality and date of birth.
- Proposal for the recital programme. The repertoire may include opera, operetta, oratorio, art song and/or zarzuela. The approximate length of this programme must be 35 minutes. Download proposal form here.
All the requested documentation will be sent in a single email to firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating “Caribbean Lyric Festival” in the subject line. The deadline for application is Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 11:59 PM (AST). Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
A panel of three specialists in classical singing will make a thorough evaluation of the applications and the audio-visual material received. This evaluation panel will select six (6) singers who will be invited to be part of the Caribbean Lyric Festival 2021. The announcement of those selected will be made on Monday, March 15th, 2021 via e-mail and social networks.
The panel will be able to make revisions and suggestions to the program proposals submitted by the selected singers, if a virtual format is adopted. Similarly, it will be able to make suggestions on the repertoire to be presented if the Festival is held in person.
- IMPORTANT DATES
Launching of CLF
Opening for calls
|29 January 2021|
Deadline for the reception of applications
|28 February 2021|
|Announcement of selected participants||15 March 2021|
|Preparation of recordings (virtual format)||16 March to 9 April 2021|
|Caribbean Lyric Festival
||9 May 2021|
- GENERAL CONDITIONS
- The Organizing Committee reserves the right to contact the contestants considered most suitable for this purpose for future artistic collaborations.
- The Organizing Committee reserves the right to use the recordings of the recitals without owing anything to the participants who, by signing the registration application, agree to waive and transfer free of charge to the Contest Organizers all the rights that for this reason may correspond to them.
- The Organizing Committee reserves the right to modify to these rules, if necessary, for technical or operational reasons, and to interpret them authentically, definitively, and without appeal. The Organizing Committee will resolve any point not foreseen in these regulations.
- Any point not mentioned in these regulations will be resolved by the Organizing Committee.
With the support of: